Did you know that falls are the leading cause of injury and the fifth leading cause for death among older individuals. As many as 50% of elderly adults will sustain a fall sometime this year.
September is Fall Risk Awareness Month, are you a fall risk?
Here are some signs that you could be at risk for a serious fall:
- Have you fallen in the last year?
- Are you taking medications that could potentially leave you feeling sleepy, lightheaded, and or confused?
- Do you have impaired vision?
- Do you have a recent history of a foot or ankle injury or possible surgery?
- Do you have loss of feeling and or weakness in your lower extremities?
- Do you have any balance issues?
If you’ve answered yes to any of these questions you could potentially be at risk for a fall. However, Podiatrists can conduct fall risk assessments and are uniquely positioned to help patients prevent falls.
If you think that you could be a potential fall risk, call our office today to schedule an appointment.
Our office phone number is (248)348-5300.